WILLCOX Cowboy Hall of Fame inductees


Andrew Edmund ("Edd" with two d's) DeBorde was born on August 9, 1892 in Willcox. He was raised on the family's homestead in Wilgus along the banks of Turkey Creek on land which now belongs to the Ben Sanders family.

His Dublin born mother was kept busy raising Edd and an older brother, William Isaac, and a half brother and sister. His father ran a freight line between Globe and the Sulphur Springs Valley.

Edd was orphaned at 11 years of age when his parents died within four months of each other. He went to live with a Riggs family, where he learned to train horses.

Even as a youngster, Edd was breaking young horses. He'd ride them to school and turn them loose in the school yard. Edd was late to class a time or two, as sometimes he would be bucked off and the colt would run off. As he got older, he began working as a strayman for the Chiricahua Cattle Company, the Riggs, and the Sierra Bonita Ranch during roundups.

In 1914, the homestead was sold and Edd married Faye Edna Riggs Baker. They had only one child. The couple worked for various ranches in the Chiricahuas, raised beans in the Sunset area, and worked in California running cattle for feed lots, and in construction.

His heart was always in Arizona, however. In the early 30's Edd returned to Arizona, and started working at the Sierra Bonita Ranch for Harry Hooker. It is interesting to note that Edd was fired once because he didn't vote like the boss did in the Presidential election. Edd stood by his principles, saying, "Voting is the most important privilege I have." Edd worked his own ranch, maintaining two sections at Rancho Piedra, as well as being the Sierra Bonita Foreman for 20 years. He was known for his skills with a horse and the way he handled cattle.

He knew his cattle. How can anyone remember that the cow with the crooked horn had a calf that got worms and last year the crooked horned cow's calf was kept as a replacement heifer and the brand was blotched. He could remember, because he was a cowboy.

Being an excellent cattleman got him 95% of the calf crop, year in and year out. He always said, "If you need to doctor an animal, get it done and don't chase her all over the country. We're raising cattle to put meat on 'um not to practice ropin* on 'urn."

Not only did he know his cattle, but he could ride a colt into a herd of cattle and cut off whatever he wanted. When shipping, he would ride in, cut out 5 at a time and call out the brands to the inspector.

Those who worked with him said he could work cattle the easiest of any man they had ever worked with. He taught them to look at each cow. If a man came to work with a hangover, Edd would have him dig fence posts. "That ground's pretty hard," he added.

Edd DeBorde was known as a good and honest man. Rinky Hughes describes him as "a very fine gentleman, quiet, reserved, and a fantastic cattleman."

One of the cowboys who worked for him stated, "He wouldn't make you do anything he wouldn't do himself. He was disciplined. He was honest. He was a good man."

Edd died November 28, 1975. He was laid to rest in the Dos Cabezas Pioneer Cemetery, facing north toward the mountains that were so much a part of his life. His wife of 58 years said, "They broke the mold when they made him."

This information is provided by granddaughter Karla Hansen.